Using Instagram Story Highlights to Enhance Your Profile
Instagram highlights have given businesses and social media influencers a new way to showcase their brand. Since the story highlights live front-and-center on Instagram profiles, they are the perfect tool to represent your niche.
Creating highlights and strategically planning their purpose is just as important as your permanent posts. Although the posts should be candid, each one should be categorized.
To Share a Photo or Video to your Story Using the Instagram App:
1. Tap (or the plus sign) in the top left of your screen or swipe right from anywhere in Feed.
2. Tap at the bottom of the screen to take a photo, or tap and HOLD to record a video. To choose a photo or video from your phone's library or gallery, swipe up anywhere on the screen.
3. Tap , or to draw, add text or a sticker to your photo or video. To remove text or a sticker, drag and drop it on at the bottom of the screen.
As you can see here, Instagram allows you to add customized locations, polls, stickers, text, and more!
4. Once you have your story designed just the way you want it tap Your Story in the bottom left.
Instagram stories can be still images, videos, boomerangs, or to be recorded live.
You also have the option to use the 'create' tool which provides themed background wallpapers.
Superzoom is a feature that allows you to zoom in on objects with dramatic sound effects. This feature is available for both front and back facing cameras.
Hands-free is a story feature which allows you to record without holding the button at the bottom of the screen.
Unless added to your profile as a highlight, stories disappear from your Feed, Profile and Direct inbox after 24 hours.
Did you say boomerang? Yes!
What is a Boomerang?
Boomerangs are created by taking very short, very fast burst of photos and combining them together to create a mini video. The video will play forward and backwards repeatedly to create a unique piece of content.
Now that we created the story...
How Does a Story Become a Permanent Piece of Content on Your Profile?
Once a story is posted on your profile you will then be given the option to make it a highlight. After 24 hours, if the highlight is created, the content will still be visible on your profile. The highlights are located at the top of your profile, making it easy to locate them at any time.
To Add a Story to a Highlight:
1. Go to your profile and tap Story Highlights below your username and bio.
3. Tap to select the story or stories you want to add to highlights, then tap Next
4. Tap Edit Cover > Choose a cover photo > Tap Done
5. Enter a story name for your highlight, then tap Add (iPhone) or Done (Android). You can add more photos or videos to your highlight at any time by tapping and holding on the highlight and then tapping Edit Highlight.
Once your story becomes a highlight, you can then edit the cover photo. We use Canva.com to create our highlight images. There is no limit as to how many highlights you can create on your profile. However, only five (on mobile) or seven (on desktop) will appear without scrolling to the left.
Each highlight can contain 100 photos. For example, the AmpliPhi 'holiday' highlight can contain 100 photos of our team celebrating holidays and they will not expire from the profile until manually deleted.
To Edit or Delete a Highlight:
- Go to your profile.
- Below Stories Highlights, find the story you want to delete then tap and hold.
- Tap Delete Highlight to remove the story from Stories Highlights, or tap Edit Highlight to add more photos or videos to your story.
To Edit or Delete a Photo or Video from a Highlight:
- Open your story highlight and find the photo or video you want to remove.
- Tap More (iPhone) or More (Android) in the bottom right of the photo or video.
- Tap Remove from Highlight or tap Edit Highlight to add more photos or videos to your story.
Although the exact date of the posted story is not displayed, a rough timeline in weeks is. As seen to the right, our 'Dominos' highlight was posted 12w (or 12 weeks) ago.
This 'Dominos' highlight is a direct reference to a permanent instagram post displayed on the profile. This can be a great tool for posting longer videos or utilizing different assets of media.
Other highlight ideas can include testimonials, company achievements, employee advocacy, education, reviews, Instagram takeovers and more!
How have you been using Instagram Story highlights on your profile? Was this helpful? Check out https://help.instagram.com/1660923094227526 for more information on Instagram how-to's.
Meet the Author
the ampliphi team
We're a Madison, WI based boutique-style social media and digital marketing company that utilizes proven tactics to drive client goals and objectives. Our expertise is in social media advertising, creating dynamic content via video and extending reach and impact.
We believe brands thrive by telling their story and creating meaningful connections with their audience. We help you develop strategy and social media tactics that are supported by in-depth research, analysis and prior experience with our clients.